Friday, January 1, 2010

The Love Dare Pt. 1

Ok, so I'm raising this blog from the dead for a little while to do something I've been meaning to do for a long time: Blog my way through The Love Dare.
As you may or may not know, The Love Dare was the handsomely leather-bound and handwritten tome that Kirk Cameron's father gives him to save his marriage in Fireproof. In a act of sheer marketing oversight, the producers of that movie did NOT have a version of The Love Dare that you could buy at your favorite bookstore by the time Fireproof hit theaters.
It did come out eventually, and they even milked it further with The Love Dare Day by Day: A Year of Devotions for Couples 1-Year Devotional. I'm not blogging that one. For one thing, my marriage is pretty great already. For another, I don't know if I could handle a year of these little aphorisms. But I'm going to do the original. And you're going to hear about it!
DAY 1
First, I guess I should say how I bought The Love Dare. I skipped the imitation Leather(no real Leather available?) and, as they say, print is dead, so I skipped the paperback and got the Kindle edition. I can read it on my iPhone & my Kindle 1.0, so I'll always have The Love Dare nearby.
"The First Dare is fairly simple. Although Love is communicated in a number of ways, our words often reflect the condition of our heart. For the next day, resolve to demonstrate patience and say nothing negative to your spouse at all. If the temptation arises, choose not to say anything. It's better to hold your tongue than to say something you'll regret."
This one was mostly easy. Starting off with a negative is a good idea, because it requires you to do something(be more conscious of your words) without actually doing(or spending) anything. It was a bit harder for me because my wife & I banter a lot, often playfully insulting each other. I had to resist the urge to tease her, but I also had to think about when the teasing became hurtful.
Email us at supercandid at gmail dot com

Support the SuperCandid Podcast by shopping through these links! Netflix, Inc.Apple iTunes Powered by FeedBurner

2 comments:

Ron Barker said...

The Love Dare was actually officially released around Sept. 26, 2008 to coincide with the nationwide movie release. The producers are several pastors of Sherwood Baptist in Albany GA and you can be assured that any marketing or milking was done only to reach millions of people with a scriptually-based message. The royalties and profits from the movie have been kept separate from the church and used in outreach projects such as a sports complex for the community.

jonnyflash said...

You're right. I was thinking of the fact that the book grew out of demand during the pre-release screenings.

I'm not questioning the motives of the Kendrick brothers, but making money is an essential part of the movie business. It's the only way you'll ever make a second movie!

I still wonder how much of the money from movies like Fireproof goes to the distributors and how much the church gets back.